Arroz con dulce is the Latin version of rice pudding that’s usually made around the holiday season but you can really make it any time you have a craving for it. It's normally made with evaporated milk but my recipe calls for evaporated coconut milk making it completely dairy-free with just the right sweetness. You can eat it cold or warm.
If you have trouble finding evaporated coconut milk in your local supermarket, you can order them it here to stock up on a few cans.
Non-Dairy Arroz Con Dulce (Rice Pudding)
Get the printable recipe here.
Arroz Con Dulce:
1 cup of medium grain rice
1 ½ cups of tea (see below for recipe)
1 can evaporated coconut milk
1 can coconut milk
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
½ cup organic cane sugar
½ cup organic brown sugar
½ cup of raisins (optional)
Cinnamon for sprinkling
2 cups water
8 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
1 ½ inch piece fresh ginger peeled and sliced
2 star anise
1. Soak the rice in water for at least two hours, overnight is better.
2. Make the tea by adding the water and all of the ingredients for the tea and to a pot and bringing it to a boil.
3. Let it steep for 35 minutes. If water begins to evaporate as it’s boiling add more water. Set aside.
4. Drain the rice.
5. In a large pot over medium high heat, add the tea with all of its ingredients, evaporated coconut milk, coconut milk, vanilla, water, rice, salt and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat to low and simmer while stirring consistently until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Make sure to keep stirring so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Taste the rice to make sure its tender.
7. Once the rice is cooked, remove the cloves, cinnamon sticks, pieces of ginger and the star anise and discard.
8. Add the cane and brown sugar and continue to stir.
9. Stir in the raisins (optional).
10. Cover the pot and continue to cook for 10 minutes stirring every 2 minutes. It should be a thick consistency.
11. Remove from heat and serve in ramekins or in a serving dish.
12. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and store in the refrigerator until it’s cold. You can also enjoy it warm.