It’s our birthday!! Rican Vegan is turning 1 and we are celebrating!!
I can’t believe that it’s already been a year since the launch of Rican Vegan! It’s been a busy first year creating recipes, sharing wellness tips and getting the word out about eating a plant-based diet. During the past year we have accomplished more than what I first envisioned. We were featured in the Miami Herald in an article about Latina vegans as well as in Salud Today. Our Star Fruit Delight Smoothie was featured on the homepage of the Today Show Food Club. We also have worked with great brands such as Jamba Juice, Love With Food, Ninja Coffee Bar and Cascade Ice. We’ve hosted giveaways with great prizes such as a signed copy of Rip Esselstyn’s book “Plant Strong” and a Jamba Quiet Blend blender.
When I started Rican Vegan my goal was to show how you can make flavorful food that not only tastes good but also good for you. Veganizing traditional Latin recipes I grew up eating is just a part of the vision I have for this site. I also want to educate our readers on how they can live a healthier life by being a go to resource for tips on wellness, cooking, as well as sharing products that align with our mission of promoting a healthier lifestyle.
We are just getting started and there is much more to come within the next year. Stay tuned for recipe demonstration videos and of course more vegan and vegetarian Latin recipes, wellness tips and giveaways. It’s only just the beginning for what I have in store for Rican Vegan.
We are celebrating our one year anniversary by enjoying these scrumptious birthday themed vegan banana cupcakes with vanilla frosting. The cupcakes are made with whole wheat flour, mashed bananas, applesauce, coconut sugar, baking soda and vanilla extract. The frosting is made with vegan butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a bit of soy milk.
Join in our celebration by making these cupcakes and showing us how they came out by posting a picture of them on Instagram and tagging us @ricanvegan.
Vegan Banana Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
Get the printable recipe here.
Yield: 8 cupcakes
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick vegan butter softened
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons soy milk
naturally dyed rainbow sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place paper baking cups in each of cup of a regular-size muffin pan, or spray muffin pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
3. Mix flour and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, mash the bananas.
5. Add the coconut sugar and applesauce and beat together.
6. Add the water and vanilla and continue to mix.
7. Add the flour and baking soda mixture to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
8. Pour the mixture into muffin pan filling each cup about two thirds full.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
10. Let the cupcakes completely cool down before adding the frosting.
11. Once cooled, add frosting and decorate with sprinkles.
1. In a bowl, mix the vegan butter and sugar with an electric mixer on low speed.
2. Stir in the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the soy milk. The consistency of the frosting should be smooth and spreads easily.
3. If the frosting is too thick, gradually mix in more soy milk to the frosting a few drops at a time. If the frosting is too thin, then mix in more powdered sugar to the frosting little by little until desired consistency.