Below is a transcript of the video above. The full recipe is listed after the transcript.
When it came to making pancakes, my go-to recipe was the one on the back of the box of pancake mix. Those mixes are usually made with flour that has been bleached, which you really don't need in your pancakes.
Now I make mine from scratch by mixing some whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl. In a separate bowl, combine unflavored soy milk or any other plant-based milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and maple syrup.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk together until combined. Don't over mix the batter or else the pancakes won't be fluffy. It's okay if there are some lumps of flour in the batter. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to activate the baking powder so that the pancakes will rise when you cook them.
Heat a pan or griddle. Once it's hot add some vegan butter or refined coconut oil and swirl it around the pan to make sure it's covered. Pour some of the batter onto the pan. You can make these pancakes as big or as small as you want.
Cook for about three minutes or when the edges of the pancakes look dry and bubbles start to appear and pop on the top surface. Then flip them over and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly brown and cooked in the middle.
Serve with maple syrup and your favorite fruit. If you like this video then go ahead and click on that like button and also subscribe to my channel for more videos like this one.
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes
Get the printable recipe here.
Yield: 6 pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unflavored soy milk
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
2. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients.
3. Add the contents of the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
4. Stir together until mixed. Be sure not to over mix the batter. Let the batter sit for a few minutes to thicken.
5. Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Lightly grease the pan coconut oil or vegan butter.
6. Scoop about ¼ cup of batter onto the past for each pancake.
7. Cook the pancakes on the first side for about 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes.
8. Flipping and cook the pancakes for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat until you have used all of the pancake batter.
9. Serve warm with maple syrup and your favorite fruit.