Disclosure: I was given some products from Follow Your Heart to create this recipe.
This jackfruit frita quesadilla is my vegan take on vaca frita which is normally made with shredded beef inside a quesadilla. This recipe features Follow Your Heart's vegan and gluten free tortillas, roasted garlic Vegenaise and their vegan mozzarella cheese slices.
Find where Follow Your Heart products are sold in your area here.
Jackfruit Frita Quesadillas
Get the printable recipe here.
Yield: 2-10 inch quesadillas or 4-6 inch quesadillas
1 can young jackfruit drained
1 bay leaf
4 garlic cloves minced divided
1 teaspoon salt divided
1 onion thinly sliced
¼ cup lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
Black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 Follow Your Heart Gluten-Free Classic Tortillas
4 tablespoons Follow Your Heart Roasted Garlic Vegenaise
4 slices Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Cheese
1. In a pot over medium high heat, add the jackfruit, bay leaf, 2 of the minced garlic cloves and ½ teaspoon salt.
2. Add enough water to cover everything and bring to a boil. Simmer until the jackfruit is fork tender about 45-50 minutes. Add more water if it starts to evaporate.
3. Drain the jackfruit and save the remaining broth. With two forks shred all of the jackfruit. Set aside.
4. Heat a large pan over medium high heat and add about 2 tablespoons of the jackfruit broth onto the pan.
5. Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add shredded jackfruit, remaining garlic and salt, lime juice, cumin, oregano and black pepper and continue cooking for 10 minutes or until the jackfruit is crispy.
7. In a large skillet heat the olive oil.
8. Take a tortilla and spread some of the roasted garlic Vegenaise throughout the tortilla.
9. Place the tortilla on the skillet with the Vegenaise side facing up. Add 2 slices of the mozzarella style cheese and some of the jackfruit frita on top of the tortilla.
10. Take another tortilla and spread some of the Vegenaise on one side and place the tortilla on top.
11. Once the bottom tortilla is golden brown, using a spatula and carefully holding the top tortilla, flip the quesadilla. Continue to cook until the other side is brown.
12. Remove from the skillet and cut into fourths. Repeat steps 8-11 until all of the jackfruit frita is used.