My family makes this spaghetti which is similar to the traditional Italian spaghetti except this version uses some Spanish seasonings such as adobo and sazón that gives it a different but flavorful taste. This spaghetti can be made with either traditional, gluten-free or bean pasta. Watch how simple it is to make.
Get the Noochy Licious Nutritional Yeast here.
Puerto Rican Style Spaghetti with Vegan Meat Sauce
Get the printable recipe here.
7 oz plant-based ground meat
1 tablespoon no salt adobo seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil or water
2 tablespoons recao or sofrito
4 garlic cloves minced
½ cup pasta sauce or tomato sauce
½ tablespoon sazón
½ teaspoon salt
Nutritional yeast for sprinkling (optional)
1. Cook the spaghetti noodles in a pot of boiling water as per the instructions on the box. Once it’s cooked, drain the water but keep some of the pasta water and set aside.
2. In a bowl, add the plant-based ground meat, adobo and mix it while breaking it down into small crumbles. Set aside.
3. Heat a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Add the oil or 2 tablespoons of water, if you don’t want to cook with oil. Add the recao or sofrito, garlic, tomato sauce, sazón and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the crumbled plant-based ground meat, salt and mix together. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure that the plant-based ground meat stays wet and if it starts to dry out add some of the leftover pasta water to moisten it.
5. Add the pasta and mix together and sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top and serve.