Disclaimer: I was given a Foodstirs Organic Simply Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix to create this recipe.
When vanilla cake meets chocolate cake and swirls around in a baking pan is one way to describe what a marble cake is. Marble cake is the perfect dessert for anyone who loves both vanilla and chocolate cake and can’t decide on which one to eat. It is a perfect blend of two simple cake flavors but why not add some tropical flavor to this classic dessert?
This marble cake has a touch of coconut flavor that comes from the unrefined coconut oil that is used as a substitute for butter. For this recipe I used the Foodstirs Organic Simply Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix which contains all of the dry ingredients to make the vanilla cake. First you will make the vanilla cake batter by combining all of the ingredients in the recipe except for the cocoa powder to in a bowl. Separate some of the cake batter, pour it into a separate bowl and add the cocoa powder. What’s great about this recipe is that you can customize the proportions of vanilla and chocolate cake based on your preference. If you like chocolate cake a little more than vanilla cake, you can add more cocoa powder to the larger amount of batter to have more chocolate cake than vanilla cake or vice versa. Just make sure if you are going to have more chocolate cake than vanilla to taste the chocolate cake batter to see if you need to add more cocoa powder.
In a greased loaf pan pour the larger amount of batter into the pan first, then dollop the other batter on top to form the swirls. Take a knife or a wooden stick and gently move the batter into a swirling motion. Be careful not to swirl the batter too much or else you will mix the entire batter and not have the marbling effect of the cake. Bake for about an hour and you will have a coconut marble cake that you will not want to stop eating.
Vegan Coconut Marble Cake
Get the printable recipe here.
Yield: 8-10 servings
1 Foodstirs Organic Simply Sweet Vanilla Cake Mix or vegan vanilla cake mix
½ cup applesauce
2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup non-dairy milk
¾ cup unrefined coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a loaf pan with vegan butter or non-stick spray.
3. In a bowl combine the applesauce, milk and coconut oil.
4. Add the cake mix and mix until combined.
5. Pour out about 1-2 cups of the batter into a separate bowl.
6. In the second bowl add the cocoa powder and combine until the powder is distributed evenly. You can add more cocoa powder for a more chocolatey flavor.
7. Pour the vanilla batter into the loaf pan.
8. Dollop the chocolate batter over the vanilla batter.
9. Swirl the batter with a knife or a long wooden skewer.
10. Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
11. Let cool.
12. Once completely cooled slice and serve.