Disclosure: I was given some products from Follow Your Heart to create this recipe.
This is my take on a traditional Dominican breakfast dish. The traditional dish consists of mangú (mashed green plantains), queso de freir (white fried cheese), fried salami and fried eggs. My vegan version consists of a sweet mangú, vegan mozzarella cheese, vegan salami and scrambled vegan eggs. I used the yellow sweet plantains instead of the green plantains but you can easily use the green ones in this recipe. The vegan mozzarella cheese and vegan eggs from Follow Your Heart are the perfect substitutions for this recipe.
Find where Follow Your Heart products are sold in your area here.
Vegan Dominican Breakfast
Get the printable recipes here.
Yield: 2 servings
3 yellow plantains or green for the traditional mangú
3 tablespoons vegan butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1. Slice the plantains into thirds and add them to a pot and cover them with enough water that covers them plus a little more.
2. Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-30 minutes or until they are soft.
3. Remove the plantains from the water but save some of the water in case the plantains need some liquid when you mash them.
4. Peel and mash the plantains with either a potato masher or a food processor.
5. Add the vegan butter, salt, garlic powder and onion powder and mix into the plantain puree until it’s smooth and creamy. If the mangú isn’t getting creamy as you mash it add some of the water from the pot you boiled them in and continue to mash them.
6. Top the mangú with some pickled red onions. Get the recipe for the pickled red onions here.
Vegan Scrambled Eggs
8 tablespoons Follow You Heart Vegan Egg
2 cups ice cold water
2 teaspoon no salt adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup onion diced
½ cup green bell pepper diced
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1. In a bowl whisk the Vegan Egg, cold water, adobo and salt together until there are no lumps. Set aside.
2. Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the vegan butter to the pan and let it melt.
3. Add the onions and pepper and cook until they are tender about 10 minutes.
4. Add the Vegan Egg mixture to the pan and stir slowly with a rubber spatula until the vegan egg begins to form lumps that are set. Continue to fold the scrambled eggs on to themselves until there is no more liquid in the pan.
5. Remove from the pan and serve.
Fried Vegan Cheese
1 block Follow Your Heart Mozzarella Style Vegan Cheese sliced ¼ inch thick
¼ cup corn starch or arrowroot starch
¼ cup avocado oil or refined coconut oil
1. Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add the oil and heat until it is hot.
3. In a shallow depth bowl add the corn starch.
4. Cover each slice of vegan mozzarella cheese in the corn starch and add them to the hot pan. Cook each side until it turns golden brown about 3 minutes.
5. Turn the cheese over and cook for another 3 minutes or until it is golden brown.
6. Remove from the pan and place on top of a plate with some paper towels so that it can absorb any excess oil.
Fried Vegan Salami
4 slices vegan salami
Refined coconut oil spray
1. Heat a pan over medium high heat.
2. Lightly spray the pan with the coconut oil and add the vegan salami slices.
Cook for 3-5 minutes then flip and cook for another 3 minutes or until lightly golden brown.